Sunday, May 8, 2016

Love... Better Late Than Never by Deepika Behal

Hello Book Lovers! How've you been? Hope all is well!

Today I'm going to be talking about Love...  Better Late Than Never by Deepika Behal, who was kind enough to send me a copy in exchange for review. So thank you Deepika!










Actual rating: 3.5/5 stars

Synopsis in my own words: Aadvi our female protagonist is a hard worker and was taken under her dad's wing to learn about business in India. Everything is going in such a great direction for Aadvi, and many doors are opening up for her. But when her childhood sweetheart, a boy named Akash, comes back into town to visit family, Aavdi's emotions immediately rise, and she soon finds herself falling in love with him. But complications arise in her relationship with Akash, so she decides to spend some time away, and moves to New York for awhile, to immerse herself in work. Then Sean comes along, and reignites the romanic angle of the novel.


I honestly felt that the story was nice, but by the end of the novel, it didn't move me in any way.
The characters seem to be still developing when the story ended, and I felt that there could've been so much more to say. Aadvi's character was super vulnerable throughout almost the entirety of the novel, and that made me sad, because she had so much potential to be stronger. But I can say that towards the end of the story, I did see a change in her character that I liked very much.

I also understand that Aadvi's character grew up in a different region and culture, so she has a different way of thinking. That didn't really sway me on the last detail, however, because it still seems that, even considering cultural difficulties, she wasted a great deal of potential.

And I had some problems with the writing style that Deepika has in "Love... Better Late Than Never". The style wasn't bad at all, it just wasn't my taste. When I started the book I was instantly confused, too many characters were being thrown at me, without any time for introduction or development. After that died down, I was having problems pinpointing where the author was going with the perspectives of the story. Like for instance, the story is about Aadvi's life and love story, so it's told from her. But the author intertwined different points of views from other, not clearly defined characters throughout the novel. And the way the pages and conversations were formatted was very unusual, which added another layer of confusion.

I wanted to see more depth and strength in the female lead character, and although the story itself was lovely, there could have been so much more available.

For Deepika's for novel, I felt that it needs some more working on but she overall did a very good job job, and for the most part, the story was executed sweet and fluffy. I really hope I get the chance to read more of her work and see Deepika's story ideas grow. It's quite evident that potential is growing, and perhaps Aadvi's will begin to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment