Monday, February 15, 2016

Interview with Joanne Marlowe author of Unfinished Ink

Hello Book lovers! How was your Valentines Day yesterday? I think that it's lovely that couples are surrounded with the theme of love for Valentines Day. But honestly I like to celebrate it with my loved one plus my friends and family. I think it's a day to appreciate the loved ones that we're thankful for in our lives. So I just want to take a moment to celebrate the fact that I'm so utterly thankful for all of you book bloggers, publishers, and authors for being in my life. You all have been such major inspirations in my life. Thank you! I love each and every one of you all!


So now here's my interview of Joanne Marlowe and I talking about her collection of poetry she wrote called Unfinished Ink.


1*  What was the ultimate kickstarter to you writing poetry?

The first social media site I ever joined (before Facebook & IG etc.) was Hit Record which I started to write "Tiny Stories" and got into the habit of writing one or two line stories/ poems or Haiku's.  That style is very prevalent in my first book, My Little Book of Randoms.  From that, my writing style escalated to full length poems and then came Unfinished Ink.

2* Do you plan to only write poetry or would you see yourself venturing out into something else as well?

I only started writing less than 3 years ago and I started writing full length screenplays because I would really like to make films / write films.  The poetry was secondary and just became a natural thing for me to do.  Now it is very therapeutic to write poetry and I find it gives me a voice to express myself in way that I never felt I had before or that anyone would listen to.

3* Who are some poets that have inspired you to create Unfinished Ink?

If I am honest, I was never into poetry really, more music or lyrics which in essence is poetry.  Now though, I am fully into poets and get completely blown away by what I have read.  I was told that my style is very Dorothy Parker which I can totally see and now totally adore her.  I love Raymond Carver and my new love is Chilean poet Pablo Neruda.  

4*Are you constantly writing poetry? Or is it more of a spur of the moment thing?

I never force myself to write.  My writing is spontaneous and in a moment and on my typewriter(s).  I literally write a poem in minutes and then it's done. 

5*How would you honestly describe your style of poetry?

Dark. Raw. Sarcastic. Honest. And at times, very romantic...

6* Your topics in your collection of poetry in Unfinished Ink include: love,lust,loneliness,liquor, and letting go.. currently which topic are you more drawn to?
Why are you drawn to it?

Hmmm...I would still say that I am drawn to all of those things.  These things are a constant wheel in my head that are sometimes a struggle and sometimes a delight.  

7* Where do you find everyday inspiration for writing poetry?

I get inspired by people watching.  Sometimes it's a vision in my head.  And sometimes its personal and something real going on with me.

8* When not writing poetry what do you do?

I'm a mother to a beautiful girl and to a little doggie.  I love music, especially vinyl.  I am a daydreamer but a realist at the same time. And now I am focusing on a third book and trying to get one of my screenplays made into a film.  

9* What are three things that you are proud and satisfied about Unfinished Ink?

I am very proud of how Unfinished Ink turned out.  Visually I think it is striking. The artwork was done by my friend Mischa Pillon. The layout and design inside the book and the little details like the ink sploshes on the page numbers, I love it.  And the work itself.  I love receiving feedback from people who have read it and it's been really overwhelming and awesome.  It's truly a special feeling and a gift to be able to connect with so many people through my writing and from all over the world. 

I hope you all loved the interview with Joanne! She is so amazing, and her poetry has gotten me into wanting to read more in that genre.



To learn more about Joanne Marlowe and her poetry, please click here.
Also to buy Unfinished Ink, please click here.


No comments:

Post a Comment