Monday, February 22, 2016

Interview with Matthew Dickerson, Author of The Daegmon War Series

Hello Book Lovers! I hope all is well, and that your having a wonderful day. What are some anticipated releases your looking forward to? I'm looking forward to a handful of them but most of all I'm looking forward to the second book in The Daegmon War series " The Betrayed".


                          Interview with Matthew Dickerson 


I love how astounding Matthew is, especially when it comes to world building! The depths, time, and details that he puts into The Gifted it truly amazing! I'm so honored that I got the chance to interview Matthew and talk about not just The Gifted, but also his life.
I hope you all enjoy this interview! 





1. Who are some authors that were major influences in you life when you were writing The Gifted.   
 Did any of them inspire you to start writing?



You know it’s interesting. I’ve certainly read lots of fantasy literature. I grew up on Tolkien. In the 70s and 80s I read Donaldson’s Chronicles of Thomas Covenant books, and Walt Wangerin’s award winning Dun Cow series, and Madeleine L’Engle’s time quartet, and Ursula LeGuin’s EarthSea books. I really enjoyed Patricia McKillip’s Riddle-Master of Hed series. And many others. More recently I have enjoyed Jeffrey Overstreet’s Auralia’s Colors series.  I enjoyed the Harry Potter stories. I thought the Hunger Games books were powerful. I began reading Stephen Lawhead in the 1980s and I continue to follow his writing, both his fantasy and his historical heroic romance. But I also read a lot of books that are not fantasy, and try to let my literary imagination be shaped by a variety of styles and genres.  I think I have lots to learn from just reading very good writing. I love the novels of Wendell Berry. I think there is a hint of an agrarian strain in my fiction because of that influence. Norman Maclean’s A River Runs Through It is beautiful writing, and maybe why I have fishing scenes even in my fantasy novels. Gina Ochsner’s magical realism in her novels and short stories inspires good writing.


2. How long have you been a college Professor at  Middlebury College?

I am in my 27th year.



3. What do you teach? And how long did it take you to get your degrees in those subjects?



I mostly teach computer science. I have a PhD in computer science from Cornell University, which took my four years to earn. But along the way I also did graduate work in Old English language and literature under Robert Farrell who had studied at Oxford during Tolkien’s time there, and had known Tolkien personally. I actually co-taught a class on fantasy and horror literature with Farrell back in the late 1980s at Cornell. In addition to teaching computer science, I continue to be able to teach regular courses on Tolkien or C.S.Lewis, and occasionally on creative writing. 



4.What truly inspired you to start writing The Gifted.
    In total how long did it take you to write The Gifted?


The novel began with the opening scene. I had a picture or idea of that scene in my imagination and especially of the character Elynna—and, of course, of the Daegmon emerging from the mountainside . That was the mental picture that inspired the novel. I wanted to explore it. So I just started writing about the scene, getting to know Elynna, meeting the other characters, and exploring the land of Gondisle itself. I wanted to know what its peoples and cultures were like, and about its history, and the histories of the characters. I began to care about the characters, and would think about them even when I wasn’t writing.  I think I spent close to three years writing the entire 300,000 word three-volume novel, and then a couple more years revising it.  All while having another full time job, so I wasn’t writing 24/7; that’s just the time that passed.


5. As a writer, can you give us any tips for becoming a beginner Fantasy author?


Read avidly. And not just fantasy.  Read the writings of the best crafters of prose in the English language. Read a variety of styles and genres including ones you might not think you are interested in—but  authors who are acknowledged to be beautiful and careful writers. Read Wendell Berry and Norman Maclean as well as your favorite modern fantasy writer; Annie Dillard and Madeleine L’Engle as well as J.K.Rowling. Read poetry even if you only plan to write prose.  If you want to be a great writer, then be a great reader. In fact, there are two reasons this is vital. The main reason is that you need to shape your literary imagination and train your ear to beautiful language and well-crafted narrative. You do this by reading it. But the secondary reason isn’t trivial either: the publishing world is really struggling today, making it very difficult for publishers to take a chance with new writers or to publish anything other than best-sellers. You need to vote with your money that literature is important. Buy books at a local independent bookstore, and help maintain a market for books that will enable publishers to take a chance on a new author five years from now.


6. As a Professor,Musician,Father,Husband, and Writer, what do you do with your free/ relax time? 


I certainly enjoy reading, and generally have two or three books going at any time: a work of fiction, and a work of non-fiction, and maybe a collection of poetry.  I am passionate about fly-fishing.  And I love being outdoors, especially with my wife and family, biking or canoeing or cross-country skiing or hiking or camping



7. The Gifted is extremely well diverse in world building.  
 Where did you get your experience/talent for world building?


You might guess from my answers above, but the first response is from reading. I have already said enough on that, however. The second is from practice.  I wrote two fantasy novels before this, which I will probably never try to revise and publish even though I spent years on time. One, I know, isn’t very good. The other, a young adult fantasy novel, might be worthwhile with lots of revision. But of course the time spent writing them helped develop my craft.   I think both the initial praise and the initial criticism of The Gifted has been how descriptive it is. I think the book gives a rich sense of the land and its cultures, and readers have also appreciated how well drawn out the characters are. It’s not just about war and adventure. So readers who just want to the next battle scene probably don’t like this style. But for those who like this world building, and who appreciate the richness of the setting, I think it works.


8. What was the process for you to get The Gifted published?


Repeatedly sending it to lots of publishers. Had some editors who really loved it, but then a couple of different times the poor state of publishing today and the financial struggles of nearly all smaller publishers ended up scrapping the book and I had to start over. Though there were periods when the book sat for months on my desk, I never gave up.


9. Are any of the characters you created in The Daegmon War series, inspired after friends or family?


Not in any direct way.  I didn’t have any particular model for any particular character. But all of the characters in my stories are drawn from my experience in our world, interacting with others. So I hope they are all drawn on real persons.

10. How many novels do you plan to write in The Daegmon War series


The original Daegmon War series is three volumes. Book 2, The Betrayed, should be out this spring, and some time early next year I hope that the 3rd and final volume will be published. They are all written, but I do have some revision and polishing to do. But if readers like the stories, and the (surviving) characters, and the world of Gondisle enough to want more, I will keep writing stories about that world. I’ve actually written about 40% of a new fantasy novel set in Gondisle. I like it a lot. Even more than the original trilogy.  I don’t want to give any spoilers about how the first trilogy ends, but I’ll say it starts a few months later, and while it is a new story it continues the tales of some of the same characters in the aftermath. The main protagonist of the new one — call it Book 4 — is Thimeon’s little sister Siarah, who gets mentioned in the first series but we never actually get to meet her.  I really like her, though. I spent a year writing about her story, but it’s now stalled for a while until The Daegmon War revisions are done.


11. Do you have any last words to your fans and readers?


I know that not all styles of writing connect with all readers. I don’t have aspirations to imitate the current trends in fantasy in order to be popular. I don’t want to write about vampires, and I’m not hoping to copy Game of Thrones.  All I can hope for as a writer is to find that niche of readers who appreciate the type of writing in The Gifted and more generally in The Daegmon War.  Of course word of mouth is the best way for this to happen, so if you like the books then tell others about them.







I hope you all enjoyed my interview with Matthew Dickerson.

If you'd like to learn more about Matthew please click here.

To purchase the first book in The Daegmon War series "The Gifted" please click here.

To pre-order the second book in The Daegmon War series "The Betrayed" please click here

To view my review of The Gifted please click here.

1 comment:

  1. Great interview!! This sound like an awesome trilogy; can't wait to check it out :)

    ReplyDelete